It’s Playtime!!Taking your dog to the dog park can be a great experience for them and you. You have the opportunity to meet dog lovers like yourself and your dog has the chance to make a few friends. Here are some friendly tips on how to properly visit your local dog park.
Prep Before You Go
Don’t take a dog that’s not neutered or spayed.
Have all vaccinations, as well as flea & tick prevention.
Don’t take a puppy under 4 months old.
Take water & container – but NOT food.
Get some exercise first – so that they’re not overanxious & rambunctious.
Leave small children at home with a sitter.
Have them leashed before you get out of your car.
Don’t take a dog toy – they may be possessive.
Bring a Poop Scoop and Ziploc bags.
Take a spray bottle with water.
When you get there, take charge!
- Enter the park with your dog leashed.
- Take your time entering to allow you & them time to survey the situation
- Stay aware of your dogs “signs” and of other dogs
- PAY ATTENTION – Don’t get distracted by your phone
- Clean up your dog’s poop right then
- Make your dog mind. (No humping or acting a fool)
- Use your spray bottle to head off altercation
What to do if a fight breaks out.
- DON’T jump in the middle of it!
- If it lasts more than a few seconds:
- Spray both dogs in the face with water.
- Grab the dogs by the hind legs (top) and start walking backward.
- Don’t grab for the collar – you might get bitten by reflex.